Your well preserved 1 reichspfennig coin from the Weimar Republic of Germany catalogs for about $4 US dollars more if in better condition, as follows:
worn: less than $1 US dollar approximate catalog value
average circulated: $2
well preserved: $5
fully uncirculated: $12
The coin in the picture is in good shape and it is probably worth a three or four dollars in catalog value.
Collectors are very picky about the overall appearance of their coins, and are willing to pay a premium for good eye appeal. Be sure you understand what catalog value is. Use our Important Terminology link at the upper left to find out.
I really like the coin in our picture. The surfaces are crisp and clear, with great color and excellent luster. This is the kind of coin collectors seek for their collections, and will pay high premiums for coins like this.
Ireland minted 6 pence (6d) coins between 1928 and 1969. The early dates, before 1936, were minted in nickel and included the inscription SAORSTAT EIREANN. After 1936 the coins are made of copper-nickel and use the EIRE inscription.
All these coins are worth less than $1 US dollar if in worn condition. As condition improves, so does value, but not too much:
It's hard to miss this coin. The giant hole in the middle makes it very unusual. These were minted by the British about the time they were leaving India in 1947. The Portuguese were there until 1961. The coins were minted in 2 grams of bronze and have a diameter of 21.32mm.
These coins are worth very little. There were hundreds of millions made and many are still around due to their unique characteristics. But, as is often the case in coin collecting, there is a twist.
Well, Heather ...
Either you have a very valuable coin, or you have one that is worth nothing. How's that for narrowing it down?!
During the Civil War, the Confederate (southern) States of America issued only two types of coinage: a one cent piece and a half dollar. (See our write-up on the one cent piece at this CoinQuest link.) They minted very few of each, so if you have a genuine, original CSA half dollar, you have a coin worth tens of thousands of US dollars today. Genuine CSA half dollars are so rare that the coin catalogs do not even list an estimated value! The coin in our main is a genuine piece.
Nowadays not many people remember when silver coins actually circulated in America. Up to 1964, our silver coins ~ dimes, quarters, half dollars ~ were made of actual silver. A full 90 percent of each coin was pure silver. The remaining 10 percent was copper. Then, in 1964, the Federal Government decided, with the rest of the world (pretty much), to do away with precious metal in coins and strike them out of cheap alloys. Coins minted from 1965 until now have zero silver content. Dimes, quarters, and half dollars are made of copper with a thin clad layer of nickel.
Hello, Jeff --
Most of Hitler's Third Reich coins with a swastika carry some, but not much, numismatic value. The 1936A coin in our picture is from Munzenversand Udo Helmig and is in good shape numismatically (that is, from a coin collector's point of view). Helmig's selling price of 120 Euros shows how a rare date and a great condition can pay off in coin value. If you had a coin like this to sell, a dealer would likely pay about one-half the retail price.